One of our absolute favourite winter vegetables lends itself perfectly to roasting, but there are so many other ways to enjoy them too. These are our five favourites:
- Roast in the oven for 20 mins. Add honey or maple syrup along with grated fresh ginger then cook for a further 10 mins.
- Slice into thick coins and add to a fragrant chicken stir-fry rich with lemongrass and chilli.
- Make a spicy yam salad by boiling until tender then toss with chopped chilli, garlic, crispy fried shallots and fresh coriander. Dress with cider vinegar, fish sauce and olive oil and serve with simply steamed fish or grilled seafood.
- When eaten raw, the different varieties conjure up flavours of celery, chestnut and apple, so we enjoy yams grated coarsely or sliced thinly into our favourite seasonal salads.
- Boil and then mash yams as you would with conventional potatoes; lots of butter and robust, bright-flavoured herbs like chervil and dill.